Wednesday, May 10

Music Reviews

Ok, the month of May has so far been a good month for new album releases. Here are my thoughts on the three albums I have bought this month:

1. Tool - 10,000 Days: For anyone expecting the whole album to be at the same level as the single VICARIOUS, they can forget it. Don't get me wrong, this album is incredible in it's own way. Vicarious is a perfect track to open the album, and Jambi is a nice follow-up, fast and loud. After that, the album kind of incorporates the sound of Keenan's other band, A Perfect Circle. It has the usual 'sound' tracks that are on most of Tool's albums, however if you listen to this album with headphones on, you can really appreciate all the intricate sounds that are involved, pretty amazing in my opinion. Danny Carey plays the hell out the drums on this album, and I think he really makes the album stand out.
Notable tracks:
Vicarious - one of the best Tool songs ever, IMO.
The Pot - great vocals and awesome bass and drums.
Rosetta Stoned - fast, typical Tool sound
Right in Two - Could have been on Ænima, starts slow then builds. Very good song.

Overall this album is really good if you can listen to everything that is going on. Like I said, it sounds MUCH better on headphones.

2. Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam: I was so excited for this album to come out after hearing World Wide Suicide, and I was not disappointed. I kind of got turned off to PJ after Vitalogy, but then when I heard Yield and Binaural, I was so impressed at how this band has grown. On their self titled album, they have grown even more. This album is very "relaxed" as my buddy McGone put it. And he is right. Yeah PJ has their usual political influences in their music, but it is not thrown at you like some bands do. This album is a great piece of work, McCready and Gossard play so well together, and seem to feed off of each other. Cameron on drums is great, and supplies superb backup vocals.
Notable tracks:
Life Wasted - the guitars battle it out - wonderful
World Wide Suicide - can't say enough about this song, LOVE IT
Severed Hand - probably the best rocking song on the album, behind WWS
Unemployable - I thought it reminded me of Urge Overkill, which is always good.
Big Wave - Love this tune, fast and play it loud!
Army Reserve - When this song starts, it does not sound like a PJ tune, and that is what makes it so good. Also love this tune.
Inside Job - melodic - perfect song to close out the album.

Overall, this album is really good. Any fan of Pearl Jam should own this album. McCready and Gossard put everything into this album and it shows.

3. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium: I am going to say it right now... BEST. CHILI PEPPERS. EVER! I will go so far as to say this is the best album of 2006. After 22 years, the Peppers have grown into a wonderful meld of musical genius. I have been a fan of the RHCP since Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and will be honest, some of their latest stuff was not to my liking. Californication was really good, showed the band growing, but there were a few songs I could do without. By the Way missed the mark with me, too mellow I thought. Stadium Arcadium could be viewew as a blend of the past 22 yrs, it has mellow songs, rocking tunes and of course, the funk that we came to love from Mothers Milk and BSSM. It is a double album, and the songs compliment each other perfectly.
Notable tracks - per album:
Jupiter (Disc 1):
Dani California - honestly, not the best song on here, but ranks up there in the top 5
Snow ((Hey Oh)) - wonderful guitar, perfect mellow tune. Could be a Top40 hit like UNDER THE BRIDGE
Hump de Bump - back to the funk - awesome
Torture Me - this is the BEST song on Jupiter. And who knew that Flea could play the trumpet!
Especially in Michigan - Anthony Keidis and John Frusciante rule this song.
C'Mon Girl - another wonderful melodic song, Flea is awesome on this song
Hey - similar to track 2 - Snow - John Frusciante's guitar puts me in a trance on this song

Mars (Disc 2):
Desecration Smile - sort of a POP sound to it, but good song
Tell me Baby - funk, bass reminds me of BSSM
21st Century - another perfect funk/rock tune
She Looks to Me - another ballad prefectly done by Keidis
If - this tune is amazing. Just Keidis and Frusciante - amazing harmony
Turn it Again - this song is the BEST song on Mars, IMO. The bass and guitar play off each other.

Overall, this may be one of the best DOUBLE albums I have ever purchased. In my opinion, John Frusciante put his heart and soul into this album, and it shows. Without him, this album would not be nearly what it is now. ANY fan of the RHCP should own this album. And if you only like some of their stuff, you need to get this album. Even though I did not care for their last album, and thought maybe they were getting too mellow, I had no second thoughts on getting this album. I had no problem with the mellow tracks on this album, I think it was the way the album was set up, it is a perfect blend of funk, rock and ballads. Of course, it could be that my tastes have grown also. Either way, BEST. RHCP ALBUM. EVER.

No comments: