Thursday, December 21

What I have to look at all day

McGone did this last week, and I thought it was pretty interesting, so I decided to follow his lead. After all, I am just a lemming. (Click on picture to enlarge to see the numbers. You may want to open in a new window.)

Above is a panoramic view of my desk/cube/work area. I spend roughly 40 hours a week here, so I have to keep it entertaining somewhat.

1. A distance chart of the walking paths around the grounds of our building. These are part of the Wellness Center we have in the basement. Total perimeter distance is 2.6 miles. I try to run on this when it is warm, but seeing as how my body hates me when I run, I don't run very much.

2. Picture frame. Photos include (clockwise from top left): Our wedding, Ryan and Brett, our dog Molly, Brett on his 1 yr birthday. I know, I don't have one of Isabel in here, but there are a few of her in this photo.

3. My RAZR phone that MamaSlinger got me earlier this year. Love this thing, and LOVE that she bought it for me, even though it was HER birthday. Thanks baby!

4. Every cube needs this. An oscillating fan. This one is nice because it is tall and doesn't take up much space. I am not sure if everyone else's office is like mine, but it is a given that the building heat/AC be reversed with the seasons. In the summer, when it is 95 outside, it feels like 85 in here, and in the winter when it is 18 outside, it feels like it is 45 in here. I do not have a heater though, those things are major fire hazards. Shhh, don't tell the hundreds of ladies here that use them though!

5. Photo sheets of Brett on the left, and Isabel on the right. We got these from Sears Photo. They are a huge hit in the office. The surrounding grandmothers drool over the setup, like they have never seen 5 pictures on one sheet of paper before. it helps that the kids are cute!

6. Ryan's on his way to becoming an artist. here is a watercolor painting of a snowman. The babysitter assured me she did not help him do this. Not bad huh? The colors are a bit off though. Worries me that he depicts Frosty as having abdominal bleeding!

7. My trusty old work laptop. I actually LOVE this thing. I just got it earlier this year, and when everyone else was getting Dell's, they gave me an HP Compaq. I would probably never buy an HP by choice, but this thing is awesome. But the bad thing about having a laptop? You can work anywhere, and in my job that is so true. I was actually logged in one day in Arlington Hghts. sitting on a side street, tapped into someone's wireless router. AND, now they took away Admin rights, so I am not able to install anything on here without Desktop Support knowing. So I lost iTunes, and that makes me sad. BUT, if I had it, I would probably be spending way too much $$ during the day.

8. My wonderful 5 year anniversary gift from the company that employs me. At 5 years, there really isn't much to choose from, and this is actually a really nice clock. So I can't complain.

9. 30G iPod Video. Do I really need to tell you how much I love this thing?

10. More family photos. I try to change these out from time to time. Have Ryan and Brett on the left, Isabel's 3 month photo in the middle, and MamaSlinger and Ryan from Halloween 2005.

11. More of Ryan's art work. Here is his depiction of "DAD" I obviously have a big head, AND HAIR. At least he gave me skinny legs.

12. Hand Sanitizer. If you work in an office, this is a necessity. Especially when you walk out of the restroom, and the jackass in front of you did not wash his hands, but you are already reaching for the door by the time you realize it. So hurry back to your desk and use this, then go wash again just to make sure.
ALSO in this is my phone. I spend quite a lot of time on this, and if you call me and it shows OUTSIDE CALLER - you can bet I won't answer. Anyone that needs to call me shows up on my caller ID. I know, I'm a jerk. But that is what voicemail is for.

13. The cords that bring life to my toys. My iPod charger cord, and my cell phone cord. Because you know the iPod gets charged about every other day.

14. Important numbers I need on a daily basis. Numbers to my team members, and also numbers to our repair centers that I call daily. Without these I would be lost.

15. My little attempt at organization. Sure, it may look organized now, but keep in mind that I threw all of the paper on my desk into here so this photo would look like I actually keep a clean desk. I will be going through all of this crap this week.

16. Showing my patriotism! The good old American Flag, the best flag in the world (sorry Single Girl!). My neighbor on the other side likes it too, he is the ex Navy guy.

So, that is a rundown of my desk. Not glorious or anything, but it is where I spent most of my day on my ass. My home away from home (I hate that term by the way). What you can't see here is my wonderful chair, that obviously failed the ergonomic test in the factory. It is about as comfortable as sitting on a milk crate some days.

I am not tagging anyone to do this, but if you feel inclined to do so, be sure to let me know.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

I got popped to McGone's site when I clicked on the picture to enlarge....so, I am reading along....then get to the comments and think....why did slinger comment on his own desk? LOL ;)

FD said...

Interesting Post. Are you left handed. It would appear to me that you are.

Slinger said...

Actually no, I am right handed. But given the set up of my desk, I have to do a lot of things on the left side.