Monday, September 11

Race weekend


This past weekend I went to the races at Chicagoland Speedway with my aunt and uncle, their friends and my brother-in-law. It was really cool. I had never been to a major race event before, so this was a new experience to me. Saturday was the ARCA race - like the minor leagues for NASCAR - and then a smaller Indy car race. Sunday was the main even, the Indy PEAK 300. Danica Patrick raced but finished 12th. It was loud as hell, but pretty damn cool.

As I am not a huge race fan, I did not know what to expect, but from what I am told, this crowd was normal, compared to the NASCAR crowd. NASCAR is a whole different world of fans. (trying not to refer to them as hillbillies. oops!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I better keep most of my comments to myself...but I must say it is funny how I feel like watching some WWF of racing everytime I get too much sun on the back of my neck!!

Real race cars don't have doors, windows, bumpers, fenders or gun racks!

My dad took me to Indy for the 500 time trials (and sometimes the race) almost every year of my youth. This past August he went to Indy for the NASCAR race. He came back and told me "I see what you mean...the cars are definitely slower and so are the fans..." The bigger (literally) the fan, the more redneck, it seems!

Just my opinion! Glad you had fun watching the WWF of open wheel racing (which, unfortunately, happens to have most of my favorite drivers driving in it!)!

Love,
An anonymous fan of this blog site and racing
P.S. I know my favorite forms of racing have their own flaws, as well...I think my "ripping on" NASCAR is mainly because of the majority of it's fans...kinda-like Cub fans!

Slinger said...

Hmmmm..... could this be BPDP? *Indy fan.... hates the Cubs....

Either way, I too like the Indy racing. The cars are better and the fans were normal.

BPDP said...

That anonymous blog site and racing fan guy sounds like a really cool (and good looking) dude! I can totally see how you thought it was me! I'm sure he wanted to keep his identity anonymous incase of any backlash from NASCAR (and Cub) fans, but just like Steve Bartman, that guy is welcome here any day!

BPDP