Tuesday, September 26

Confirmed Kill

Last night I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready, the boys were playing in the living room and Mama Slinger was in with Isabel. Well all of a sudden I hear this screaching noise outside and see Molly (4yr old Golden Retriever) going crazy. She had been out there for about 15 minutes. I look outside and see her chasing a squirrel, and the squirrel was screaching like crazy.
So I go run outside and try to stop Molly, but she is all over this little guy. She grabbed him a few times and he kept running around the playset in the back yard, only to be met by Molly every time. The last time he came around she got him, good. She had it in her mouth and it took a few good yells and me coming toward her to drop it. This whole time my 2 boys are standing at the patio door watching their dog mutilate this little creature. Amy actually thought the screahing was the little guy screaming.
The squirrel was not bleeding, but he was messed up bad. You know how they are usually long with a puffy tail? Well this guy was bent 90 degrees in the middle and his tail was by his head. She did not puncture it, thank god, but she must have broken its back. I finally got her inside and then went out to look at it. He was dead. I assume more than anything Molly gave it a heart attack. So I bagged it up and threw it out with the trash today.
After that I went in to finish making dinner and was unable to eat it. Had lost my appetite. Oh well.

So Molly got her first confirmed kill. Although how hard can it be when a stupid little squirrel comes in a fenced in yard with a dog? Not too bright of an animal. I hate to think of what she would have actually done with it if I had not stopped her. I might have been cleaning up several parts of a squirrel.

1 comment:

BPDP said...

Congratulations Molly!! My dog has several confirmed kills to her credit, but the squirrels have eluded her, as of yet. She has a couple of moles (which my dad was very happy about since they were removed from his yard after several failed attempts to kill them with traps) and several rabbits (again, at my parents house and these times my mom and dad weren't as happy..the awww factor was in play with the cute little bunnies, especially the time she got several babies). But she has yet to bag a squirrel! She's getting good at being patient and waiting for them. I have watched her on several occasions wait for 5 minutes or more, just sitting there quietly on the other side of the tree. But when she finally makes her move, they're just too fast! Actually, if we're keeping score, the squirrels are ahead, 1 to nothing...she was hit by a car a few years ago while chasing one across the street. No serious injury (to her or the car), but I think I could hear the squirrels all laughing.

Atta girl, Molly!

BPDP