Monday, July 10

The B.M.I. goes Gangsta

It's 2006 and 14 yrs after this album was released, it still stands as one of the best rap/hip-hop albums ever. Released in 1992 The Chronic by Dr. Dre is still fun to listen to.

I am not a huge fan of the hip hop scene, but when I was in college in 1992, this CD was heard coming from many dorm room windows, granted it was probably played by more white guys, but oh well.

I think this album really solidified Dr. Dre in the mainstream of music in general, everyone was liustening to this back in the day. I think I first heard it while riding in a BMW with 2 rich white guys from Barrington, IL. That's how powerful this CD was. Not to mention it gave everyone a good look/listen to Snoop Dog. These two worked so well together.

I am listening to this CD right now and in all honesty, this 14 yr old album is better than probably 90% of the hip-hop or rap music that is playing right now. This album was way ahead of it's time.

So I am not afraid to admit that I own this classic, and will listen to it on a regular basis. I may actually have to go look for some Snoop Dog tracks next, cuz you know, it ain't nothin but a G thang baby!

I also downloaded a few Tupac tracks - How do You want it? is an awesome song.

When I first met my buddy Lance we used to party at his place and have Tupac blasting on the stereo. I know, a couple of white guys, a Croatian dude and an Arab all jammin to some gangsta rap. Yeah, we were down with it!

3 comments:

McGone said...

couple of white guys, a Croatian dude and an Arab all jammin to some gangsta rap. Yeah, we were down with it!

All I can picture is the guys from Office Space. Damn it feels good to be a gangsta!

Slinger said...

Back up in your ass with the resurrection.

BPDP said...

My thoughts exactly, McGone...

All afternoon I was singing (to myself) "damn it feels good to be a gangsta" and picturing Office Space!