Wednesday, May 31

Story Time

So I am walking into work today from lunch, and these two guys were talking..one guy said that his mp3 player had been stolen off of his desk while he was gone this morning, only to a meeting. Now you have to realize, I work in a BIG office building, so anybody could have easily just walked by and snagged it. Makes me think about when I get up to use the restroom and leave my iPod on my desk.
Anyway, that little story reminded me of something that happened to me years ago.....
It was 1993-1994 school year and I was living up in DeKalb, IL attending Northern Illinois University (I use the term attending loosely, because really all I was doing was partying). I lived in the dorms, Grant Towers South to be exact - better known as Cabrini Grant. Anyway, one night I was down in one of the study rooms on the floor working on some homework (one of the rare times I did study, must have been early August or September) and listening to my Sony Discman. I always worked better with music so I would not be distracted by people outside and wonder what was going on. Well I guess at some time I heard somebody and walked out of the room to talk to them. I was down the hall about 50 feet and around the corner, for maybe 3-5 minutes. When I went back to the room, my Sony Discman was GONE!
At first I thought someone was playing a joke on me, so I asked all the people I knew if they did it. Well half of them were not even there, so then I started to get mad. How the HELL did someone walk in there in 3 minutes, without me seeing them? You have to realize, our building was in the shape of a Triangle, sort of, 3 main halls. so if you stood at one corner, you could see down 2 halls. I told the R.A. and there were other people standing around by this time. Then they called up Campus Police.
Well the police asked me what was missing, then asked me what CD was in the player. The answer I gave got some laughs and a few "Really?" responses, which I knew it would. I had been listening to Ozzy Osborne's "No More Tears" CD. Most of the people on my floor I guess did not like Ozzy. I am not a huge fan either, but that was a good CD, at the time.
"Dude, Ozzy Osborne?" asked Glen Hopkins, Mr. Music. I know, whatever, it was funny though.
They never caught who did it, or the Discman or Ozzy Cd for that matter. I had my thoughts about who took it, as did other people, but the guys were not answering their door at the time of the incident. Their door was DIRECTLY across the hall from the study room. So you don't have to be Columbo to figure out why we never saw anyone in the hall.

Moral of the story: Don't leave your media players out in the open, and if you do, make sure you have some cool music playing so you don't have to report that your Kenny G mp3 files were stolen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's kind of like when your mother told you to wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident...

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»