Monday, November 6

Walk On

63 years ago today, my father came into this world and lived a full, eventful life. He was able to travel the world, retire at an early age (55) and do the things he wanted to. He did it the right way, and for that I am grateful. He passed earlier this year, and even though I think his life ended way too soon, I cannot feel bad for the things he was able to do. I only hope that I live my life the same way he lived his.

"You're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been
A place that has to be believed to be seen"

A few days after my father passed, an old friend of mine sent me an email (she lives in Colorado) and said a few nice words. Then she ended it with a simple phrase:
"Don't think of your father as gone, think of him starting a new journey"

And that is so true. He may be gone from this world, but I know he is on a new, wonderful journey. Driving his old '57 Chevy hard top, and smoking a cigar. All the while, looking down on us and his 3 beautiful grandchildren. He was so proud when Ryan and Brett were born, you could see it in his eyes. I just wish he would have been here to see Isabel come into the world, because he always wanted a little granddaughter.

It gets easier every day now, and it has been 7 months. I know he is no longer suffering, and he is in a better place in that aspect. But his life here was his BEST place, and I would much rather him be here, healthy, but I know I can't have that.

Like we always did on his birthday, we probably would have been going out to dinner, and all having a drink. So in his honor, I am sitting here, updating the blog, watching Ice Age and enjoying a nice cold beer. Because I know that he would have been doing the same, minus the blog and movie though.


Happy Birthday Dad! We miss you every day and hope you are looking down on us! And I will drink one for you tonight.



*Note: He was not an alcoholic. Like me, he just enjoyed a nice cold beer once in a while.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

What a great tribute to your dad. He was obviously well loved. It will be 2 years in January since my dad died. It doesn't get easier, you just get used to it.

Enjoy your beer!

Nicky said...

Very nice entry. You know that I can relate... I definitely can't say it gets easier, but you will definitely find more peace with it as time passes. You'll also find that he'll never stop teaching you no matter how far apart you are.